Thursday, April 19, 2007

Soul searching

Once again it seems that the U.S. is having to do some serious souls searching, especially on the issue of gun control.

I've been to the U.S. and I've spent some time with N.R.A. members on a family outing. And I admit it, I had a great time. Only half a dozen melons were harmed and I got to experience something which I never would have here.

Within the space of a few hours I'd had my hands on a Winchester, colt 45, 9mm handgun, pump action shotgun, 12 gauge double barreled shotgun, AR15 assault rifle and a survival rifle. I also witnessed the frightening power of a Desert Eagle and a deer hunting rifle.

The day was lots of fun, and the family atmosphere was great. Everyone was responsible, very careful and very respectful of what they were wielding. Everyone stopped shooting as soon as it looked like there was any kind of problem, and I got an insight into how it should be, and usually is.

However, I was also fully aware that I, a mere visitor to the country, could walk into a gun shop and hire almost anything I wanted for the duration of my stay. Which I just couldn't get to grips with.

I know that Tammy and Delvin, my instructors (and friends) for the day, will be distraught at the recent events in Virginia, they have 4 teenagers of their own. Well adjusted, spirited young adults, who've been surrounded by a veritable arsenal of weaponry since their birth. They're not rich, not super-bright prodigies or athletic heroes. But they bear no grudges, because they are respected by their peers and their family, and most of all they respect themselves.

So the soul searching will go on, and every state has to confront fundamental issues on a regular basis. A friend sent me this link this morning http://www.chrisjordan.com , maybe it gives some perspective or maybe it just clouds the issue even further.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home