Friday, July 14, 2006

Scar Night Launch Party in Edinburgh

Went to Waterstones on Princes Street last night to witness Alan Campbell's epic embarassment at having to read aloud his own book in front of a crowd of friends and colleagues. Possibly the hardest thing to do. Certainly harder than performing other people's work in front of a thousand strangers. Not that I've done that (yet!). Which gives me nightmarish visions of a Tony Blair-esque, dad rock stadium gig in my dreams.

But back to last night. It was enjoyed by all, and even Alan I'm sure once the reading was over. Reminds me that Edinburgh is a small town, since I met people who I didn't know knew each other (if that makes sense). Always good to see disparate social groups coming together and getting on, of course they all have a common interest, revolving around various fermenting processes and the imbibing of these. As well as creative pursuits obviously.

A lot of talent in one room, not least of which was Mr Iain Banks (or maybe it was Iain M. Banks), who I managed to avoid speaking to, which cunningly negated the possibility of going all 'fan boy' and making an erse of myself. Must be quite strange though, a whole room full of people who'd really like to talk to you but are in quiet awe of your achievements. But good to have his presence there to add to my vicarious lifestyle, and to add considerable weight to Scar Night's launch.

And I'd like to make special mention of Linda Strachan, whose website I designed back in the mists of the dot com boom/bust. I can't take credit for what's up now, but at least she kept my dragon. Best of luck with Hamis McHaggis.

A grand night out.

Oh, and the book ain't half bad either!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home